Do you know your UAN-Universal Account Number? The UAN is mandatory for EPF withdrawal. It is the most important thing you should know if you are in touch with your EPF account. If you don’t know, then get it immediately from your employer and if you know all this, then relax and read the procedure of checking UAN status online. Before moving further, let me clear some basics.
What is UAN (Universal Account Number)?
Universal Account Number or commonly known as UAN is a unique number allotted to every member of EPF (Employee Provident Fund) Scheme. As we know, PF member ID changes with the change in a job but UAN doesn’t. It is the responsibility of your employer to give you the universal account number as soon as it gets from the EPF Organization. EPF transfer and EPF withdrawal have become way too easy because of UAN. By linking your Aadhar number with the UAN, you can avail maximum benefits from it.
How to check UAN status online?
Steps to check the status of UAN:-
Step 1 – Visit the portal of UAN – Universal Account Number
There is a separate portal for the UAN or PF number portability on EPFO website. Moreover, it has a separate URL for the EPF members and employers. You can easily reach the portal through this link –
But employers have to go through this link –
You can browse all portals via the EPFO home page also.
Step 2 – Go to the UAN status check page
In the member portal of the UAN, there is a link to check the UAN status, probably on the top left corner. Click on this link.
Step 3 – Submit your PF Details
On the page titled ‘Check UAN status, you have to fill your PF number. As it is the most important, you should submit your PF number properly.
- Firstly, choose the state where your respected office is registered. If there is any doubt, just check the first two letters of your PF number. The first two letters are for the state, like MH for Maharashtra, UP for Uttar Pradesh and DS for Delhi.
- Now choose your PF office region. States have several regions. For example, Delhi has three and Uttar Pradesh has nine PF regions. Moreover, you can trace your region from next three letters of PF numbers.
- When you choose state and region, the two columns of PF numbers gets filled automatically. But don’t forget to recheck it with your PF number.
- Now it’s time to fill your Organization number. Remember, every employee in your organization has the same number. The first group of digits in your PF number represents the organization number. It can go up to seven digits.
- Then, you have to fill the extension in the fourth column. Well, most of the times this remains 000. It may not be in your PF number. Also, you can leave it blank.
- At last, fill your PF number, which is unique to you in your own office. It can be up to seven digits. Even your salary slip also contains the PF number. Most of the employers print it in the salary slip.
Step 4 – Checking the status of UAN – Universal Account Number of PF
Finally, click on ‘Check Status’ option to know whether UAN is allotted to you or not. You can easily know your allotted UAN from the portal itself.
Now, you can generate your UAN number online from the UAN portal. Surprisingly, you can get a Universal Account Number without having an employer or job.
Important – Now you got the UAN, don’t forget to activate it on UAN portal to use various online facilities.
- Can I view my/download my passbook?
Yes, you need to login to the Member Portal by your UAN and password. Then go to ‘Download’ and select ‘Download Passbook’.
- What is my password to login to member portal?
The password has to be created by the member only while activating his/her UAN.
- Passbook is not available or the user is not able to see his/her passbook?
If you are working in Exempted Establishment (PF managed by Company itself and Pension fund by EPF Organization) then your passbook will not be available in the UAN portal. You may contact your establishment to get the PF statement.
- Has UAN been allotted to contract based employees (not the permanent employees of Govt.)?
UAN is allotted to all contributory members of EPFO including contract based employees.